Realistically speaking, how many mini screen objects before performance hit? (Newbie Post)

Godot Version

Question

Hi All,
Currently learning Godot and building a thrash super car racer to force my way through understanding it. As per the image. I’ve many small destructible objects (airiel photo style). When they are hit, an object is removed (queue_free) and an image is pasted on a never-cleaned-viewport. So far, it’s running perfectly. Like crazy good.

Because there are so many static objects, until they are hit, will I hit a ceiling on performance if I make an entire shopping center for example? Which would be about 10 to 20 times or more of all the little graphic object counts you see here. Plus there will be other AI drivers too.

I am planning to compartmentalize buildings and bring them in as scenes to the main, so I expect a metric tonne of ‘stuff’ per race track.

Please let me know if Godot would be ok with the above situation (before I do it for real), or would this be a problem, or is there another better way? Or should I be aware of certain things? :slight_smile:

Thanks for helps!

(Test image)

Unfortunately, you’ll just have to try it and find out!

Every game has different limits, depending on exactly what your nodes are, and how your scripts are set up.

The only way to know for sure is to measure.

But, in my experience, I doubt you’ll run into any issues even up to around 10,000 nodes, assuming those nodes don’t use process functions.

Again though, it depends a lot on your project, including your target platform. Make sure to test your performance in exported builds, since the editor build is for debugging.

Thanks for the info. Guess I’ll have to try and break it then. :stuck_out_tongue:
Yeah, the objects are all rigid bodies which don’t do anything until struck. I couldn’t imagine more than 50 active at any given time. So, not that many under _process or _physics at any given moment. (Plus they all vanish immediately after.)